Breakdowns and incidents (274 to 287)

Rules for breakdowns and incidents, including rules for motorways, obstructions, incidents, incidents involving dangerous goods and documents.

Breakdowns (274)

Rule 274

If your vehicle breaks down, think first of all other road users and

Additional rules for motorways (275 to 278)

Rule 275

If your vehicle develops a problem, leave the motorway at the next exit or pull into a service area. If you cannot do so, you should

Laws MT(E&W)R reg 14 & MT(S)R reg 12


Rule 275: Keep well back from the hard shoulder

Rule 276

Before you rejoin the carriageway after a breakdown, build up speed on the hard shoulder and watch for a safe gap in the traffic. Be aware that other vehicles may be stationary on the hard shoulder.

Rule 277

If you cannot get your vehicle onto the hard shoulder

Rule 278

Disabled drivers. If you have a disability which prevents you from following the above advice you should

Obstructions (279 to 280)

Rule 279

If anything falls from your vehicle (or any other vehicle) on to the road, stop and retrieve it only if it is safe to do so.

Rule 280

Motorways. On a motorway do not try to remove the obstruction yourself. Stop at the next emergency telephone and call for help.

Incidents (281 to 283)

Rule 281

Warning signs or flashing lights. If you see or hear emergency or incident support vehicles in the distance, be aware there may be an incident ahead (see Rule 219). Police officers and traffic officers may be required to work in the carriageway, for example dealing with debris, collisions or conducting rolling road blocks. Police officers will use rear-facing flashing red and blue lights and traffic officers will use rear-facing flashing red and amber lights in these situations. Watch out for such signals, slow down and be prepared to stop. You MUST follow any directions given by police officers or traffic officers as to whether you can safely pass the incident or blockage.

Laws RTA1988, sects 35 &163, and as amended by TMA 2004, sect 6

Rule 282

When passing the scene of an incident or crash do not be distracted or slow down unnecessarily (for example if an incident is on the other side of a dual carriageway). This may cause a collision or traffic congestion, but see Rule 283, below.

Rule 283

If you are involved in a crash or stop to give assistance

Incidents involving dangerous goods (284 to 285)

Rule 284

Vehicles carrying dangerous goods in packages will be marked with plain orange reflective plates. Road tankers and vehicles carrying tank containers of dangerous goods will have hazard warning plates (download ‘Vehicle markings’).

Rule 285

If an incident involves a vehicle containing dangerous goods, follow the advice in Rule 283 and, in particular

Documentation (286 to 287)

Rule 286

If you are involved in a collision which causes damage or injury to any other person, vehicle, animal or property, you MUST

Law RTA 1988 sect 170

Rule 287

If another person is injured and you do not produce your insurance certificate at the time of the crash to a police officer or to anyone having reasonable grounds to request it, you MUST

Law RTA 1988 sect 170

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Privacy Policy